Pages

Monday, October 12, 2015

Spotlight on Paranormal Romance author, Meradeth Houston

Today we are spending a little extra time getting to know Lightning Quick Reads author, Meradeth Houston.

First let’s find out what Meradeth has to say about herself:

I’m not terribly fond of talking about myself, but if you’re really curious, I’m an author and professor of anthropology in Montana. My day job deals with sequencing dead people’s DNA (and sometime’s pig DNA, for my forensics students), and at night I escape to my fictional world.

LQR: If you had to pick only one moment that spurred you to write professionally, what moment is the most defining/inciting?

Meradeth: When I was a kid, I remember loving a particular book (Many Waters by Madeline L’Engle) and being very curious about some of the characters there. I wanted to have more stories about them. And then it hit me—why couldn’t I write them myself? It was my Eureka moment, as silly as that might be, and I’ve loved writing ever since.

LQR: Does the majority of your work focus around or within a single theme?

Meradeth: In some ways the intersection of the fantastical with the mundane, real-world, is part of all of my work. I love testing that boundary and seeing how people (well, characters, but they’re real people to me) react to having the boundary tested or removed. I have no idea why I enjoy that concept so much, other than I kind of wish it would happen to me!

LQR: Tell us about your newest release.


Meradeth: My most recent release was TRAVELERS, a time-travel mystery/romance. I’ve always loved time-travel as a concept (which is probably why I love studying the past in my day-job, too), and I had a blast writing this book (though time travel has a way of getting tricky far too fast!).

LQR: What is one of your favorite authorial moments from your career so far?

Meradeth: Seeing and holding my first novel in print. That was pretty spectacular!

LQR: Share with us a five year and ten year goal for your writing career.

Meradeth: For both, I really hope to just still be writing. Some days, I don’t know if that’ll happen. But if so, I really hope I’m agented and have someone else helping me out with marketing at that point!

LQR: Do you write what you read? Watch? What are your favorite television shows and movies?


Meradeth: I do particularly like to read (and watch) what I write. A good paranormal book, with a dash of romance, is always a treat. Though I do try to catch a wide breadth of things, too!

LQR: If you had one week away from any and all responsibility what would you want to spend your time doing?

Meradeth: Probably sleep a whole lot, and go to the beach (even if that meant flying the hours it takes to get to a decent one!). Then, I’d just read, sip something cool, and watch the waves. That sounds like heaven to me!

LQR: Where can readers find you online?

Find Meradeth Houston online at: www.MeradethHouston.com
FacebookTwitterInstagramTumblr, Amazon, Goodreads, and of course her blog!


No comments:

Post a Comment