Pages

Sunday, November 15, 2015

Thankfulness by Mary Waibel


A reflection on things to be thankful for.

***



I stared at the blank screen, stumped by the topic of the writing assignment. Thankfulness. It wasn’t that I had nothing to be thankful for, quite the opposite in fact. It was how to put my thankfulness into words without sounding trite.

It should have been an easy assignment, an assured A, but the words wouldn’t come. I walked away from my computer in search of something to distract me. None of the books waiting on my e-reader held any interest, nor did the television. With a sigh, I trudged back to my desk and forced myself to start writing, even if it would be deleted in the end.

I’m thankful for my family and friends who support me and all my endeavors. Who shower me with love and call me out when I’m wrong. You make me a better me, and I can’t thank you enough.

I’m thankful for my health, and that of my family. With so many suffering serious diseases and illnesses, I am fortunate that my family is mostly healthy and doing well.

I’m thankful for my prosperity. Not that I’m super rich, but there are many who have much less than I.

I’m thankful I’m able to work and earn spending money for frivolous things, and not have to rely on the generosity of others for necessities.

I’m thankful for the freedoms I have and, while I don’t always agree with the choices my government makes, I’m grateful that I can voice my opinion without fear of retribution.

I’m thankful that I don’t go to bed hungry, unless I want to. I am blessed to live in a place where food is plentiful and varied. Where things aren’t rationed or your options of what to eat are limited.

I’m thankful for the change in seasons that keep me looking forward to nicer weather in the winter, or cooler weather in the summer.

I’m thankful for my cats, even when they don’t use their litter box, because without them life would be a little lonelier.

I’m thankful for my parents. Sure, they drive me crazy with wanting to know what I’m doing and hassle me about keeping my grades up and all that stuff, but that’s their job. And I know someday they won’t be here anymore and I’ll miss them terribly.

I’m thankful for my brothers, even when they act like jerks. I think it’s just the male way of showing affection. They can’t let people know they care, so they act all weird and stuff instead. But it’s okay. I understand it.

I’m thankful for the men and women who voluntarily enter our military who are willing to risk all so I can be safe here at home. So I can speak as I want, watch what I want, and read what I want. These brave souls who go to the darkest and most vile places on earth to help others in need deserve more than my thanks, but for now that is all I have to offer.

I’m thankful for the police and firemen who keep me safe at home. Who are just a phone call away when needed. Who, like the men and women of the military, risks their lives daily to keep us safe.

I’m thankful for all I have.


As the words petered out, I sat back and read over what I’d written. What sounded as repetitive and thoughtless in my mind came across as sincere and heartfelt. It was exactly what I wanted to say, how I wanted to sound. I saved the file and sent it to my teacher. My assignment done, I shut down the computer and settled onto the couch to watch television with my family.


***


Twisting tales one story at a time. 

YA author Mary Waibel’s love for fairytales and happy-ever fill the pages of her works. Whether penning stories in a medieval setting or a modern day school, magic and romance weave their way inside every tale. Strong female characters use both brain and brawn to save the day and win the heart of their men. Mary enjoys connecting with her readers through her website: marywaibel.blogspot.com

***

No comments:

Post a Comment